1stXV U/13 Rankings for 2018?

Ruggas will be covering u/13 rugby from 2018 and in order to do this, we need to establish the top 100 schools in South Africa. I started to watch primary school rugby since early May this year and attended close to 40 games this year. The Wildeklawer Festival for juniors was an eye opener as the quality of play by Paarl Gim and Kenmare was astonishing. The Craven Week also showed that the competition is as furious at the u/13 level as at any level in high schools.

To establish a ranking system will be 10 times more difficult than at high school level as not all the schools venture outside their own union's boundaries but events like the Wildeklawer, Grey College Festival and Super12 Competition in the Noordvaal will help a lot.

I am fairly happy with the top 10 schools on this list and saw 8 of them play in person. Paarl Gim definitely the king with a brilliant team and one can only wonder why only 2 of their players was included in the u/13 Craven Week team. They play Boishaai who features at #35 on the Top 35 as published below in the big interschools this weekend.

Next week on 9 August 2017 Kenmare, champions of the Golden Lions will play against the Blue Bulls Champions, Wonderboom at Loftus. Kenmare deserves the no 2 spot on the current rankings as they only lost against Paarl Gim twice this year and only Grey College could really scare them.

If you agree or disagree with the rankings or can help to add any school you think must feature on our top 100 for 2018 send an email with your name and surname to news@ruggas.co.za to register and participate in this interesting exercise.

1 Paarl Gim
2 Kenmare
3 Grey Bloem
4 Gene Louw
5 Glenwood
6 Grey PE 
7 Helderkruin
8 Saamtrek
9 Wonderboom
10 Bastion W/C
11 Elarduspark
12 Stirling
13 Dale College
14 Selborne College
15 Vastrap
16 Randhart
17 Thabazimbi
18 Van Riebeeckstrand
19 Rustenburg Laerskool
20 Bergland
21 Dphs prep
22 Florida
23 Stephanus Roos
24 Durbanville
25 Westville
26 Hennopspark
27 Pietersburg Oos
28 Nelspruit
29 Middelburg
30 Kruinsig
31 Eversdal
32 Newton
33 Outeniqua
34 Worcester
35 Tzaneen
36 Boishaai

5 Replies to “1stXV U/13 Rankings for 2018?”

1. As far as I remember their Cravenweek stars did play in that game but you can’t read anything from a 10 minute game. We were really hoping to play them at Grey Super Series or Wildeklawer but that didn’t happen.

Gene Louw have a huge pack of forwards and 4 were included in the Cravenweek u/13A squad with at least 2 others that were very unlucky during the trial process.

The big problem is that we are struggling to get schools to play against us. We had 5 league games cancelled so far this season, Mikro, Van Riebeeckstrand and Panorama just didn’t want to play us and Bastion and De Hoop was cancelled due to bad weather but non of them wants to reschedule. We can understand this as most of our matches were stopped before the end of time due to the score with one match lasting just 2 minutes into the second half.

I did email the schools rugby convenor at WP rugby but he just ignores my emails.

Can’t someone please organise us a proper school to play against?

1. Henco, would you say that becoming a “super” primary school is making it difficult to find competitors locally and must, therefore, look at more frequent out of province fixtures like at high schools, or must the WP start relooking at the way they do the yearly fixture list.

1. We do play at Wildeklawer and the Grey Super Series and do well against the out of province teams. I feel we have more than capable local teams to play against. I am not sure how the fixtures are decided on but we don’t have Paarl Paarl Gym, Boishaai, Rondebosch, SACS and those kind of teams as part of our league fixtures. It is always the same schools and it is not fair on them as well. Every school must at least have some chance of winning a game, to stop a game after 2 minutes in the second half due the high score is not fair on either team. The blatant biased referees is another big problem. We had one specific ref like that and he explained afterwards that he wanted the score to stay on the low side and that is why he blew like that, have you ever heard of that before, that was a match against the weakest/smallest school in our league this year.

Leave a Reply